Maine Brew & Bev Fall/Winter Issue
THEMES AND “BIG PICTURE”
When the fall/winter issue drops in early October, it will encompass October to March. We’re always looking to tell stories breweries old and new, tackle issues they are facing and what is trending in the beer biz. As for the “Bev” in our title; we are also interested in Maine-made spirits, ciders, meads shrubs, elixirs, syrups and mixers. Deadline for articles is September 15. See departments below for related story ideas.
Regions to Cover
Maine has eight regions. Here’s the latest Beer Trail put out by the Maine Brewers Guild and the latest Distillery Trail. We want to also make sure we represent Portland, Bangor (and north of that in The County), something in the western regions and something in the Midcoast (a good mix of urban and rural) to make sure all bases are covered.
Our regular departments include:
- New breweries/distilleries opening this fall/winter
- Ideal food beer/spirits pairings (interviews with chefs)
- Distillery profiles or industry articles
- Home brewing trends
- Tasting room directory
- Beercations: Centering your trip to Maine around breweries
- Seasonal beers/Reviews and releases
- Fitness and beer: how to incorporate fun activities and lifestyle choices
- The Businesses around brewing (Peripheral businesses that assist brewers)
We invite our established writers to pitch us one or two ideas in any of these categories. We are also interested in hearing from you on any ideas you might have for new departments in the future.
Note: with the Brew Road Trip, we’re looking for local pitches for a fun mid-week getaway from writers who’ve already experienced an event (whether it’s a one-day road trip or a three-day journey ending with a festival).
Specific interests for this issue not yet assigned:
- Low or no-alcohol beers and wines–how people are changing their relationship with alcohol by still enjoying but keeping it chill – mention a few Maine breweries/wineries doing this.
- Hashers – Drinkers with a running problem–interview some of the Maine groups doing this
- Root Wild – foraging for ingredients to add to their recipes
- Fall Cidery round up – what’s new, what’s happening?
- Craft Brew Stores: what value do they bring to the beer-drinking communities?
- CBD oils – do people add them to their favorite beverage for wellness?
September 15, 2019. If it’s something that will work for the issue, we’ll let you know with a Writer’s Assignment. If it’s not this time around, don’t worry, we might ask you for some more ideas.
Please submit article pitches with samples of your writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
~ ~ ~